Re: TODO items for window functions

From: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "David Fetter" <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, "Hitoshi Harada" <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TODO items for window functions
Date: 2009-01-01 13:42:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I am not thrilled about inventing a new column for this, but how about
> a display like so:
>
> regression=# \df nth_value
> List of functions
> Schema | Name | Result data type | Argument data types
> ------------+-----------+------------------+---------------------------------
> pg_catalog | nth_value | anyelement | anyelement, integer OVER window
>
> or some other addition that only shows up when needed.

I think this whole idea is a bad one. In the current release, you can do

DROP FUNCTION Name ( Argument data types )

...and it will work. Maybe you will say that no one is doing this via
a script (which I wouldn't bet on, but it's possible) but I'm sure
people are doing it via cut and paste, because I have done exactly
this thing. Any of the various proposals for hacking up Argument data
types will make this no longer true, and somebody will get confused.
I think you should bite the bullet and add a "type" column (f for
regular function and w for window? could there be others in the
future?).

...Robert