Re: Sync Rep: First Thoughts on Code

From: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Tatsuo Ishii" <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch, masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com, aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca, heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sync Rep: First Thoughts on Code
Date: 2008-12-14 18:06:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> We can make the reply to a commit message when any of the following
> events have occurred
>
> 1. We sent the message to standby
> 2. We received the message on standby
> 3. We wrote the WAL to the WAL file
> 4. We fsync'd the WAL file
> 5. We CRC checked the WAL commit record
> 6. We applied the WAL commit record

Also

0. The same time we would have done so if replication had not been
configured at all.

I think the basic problem here is that we can talk about "asynchronous
replication" and "synchronous replication" but there are n>2
possible/useful behaviors (I would guess principally 0, 2, 4, and 6,
but YMMV). So we're going to need some way to clarify what we mean.

BTW, in case my previous emails on this topic might have given someone
the contrary impression, I'm not really that worked up about this
either. Interesting? Yes. Have opinions? Yes. Lie awake nights
worrying about it? Nope. :-)

...Robert