Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard

From: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard
Date: 2008-12-03 18:30:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Looks like I need to add Python 2.5+Linux to my testing set. I did not
> expect that the UNIX distributions of Python 2.5 would ship with wintypes.py
> at all. I think I can fix this on the spot though. On line 40, you'll find
> this bit:
>
> except ImportError:
>
> Change that to the following:
>
> except ImportError,ValueError:

That didn't work, same error message.

> And it should pass that point. If it doesn't, you can try the completely
> general:
>
> except:

That worked.

The settings that this initially spit out (I guess it defaults to
"mixed" mode) didn't look too sane to me, because as discussed
elsewhere on this thread 50 is not a reasonable value for
default_statistics_target for my installation. It also wanted to set
constraint_exclusion to on, which I'm pretty confident is useless.

Then I tried "-T web" and got what seemed like a more reasonable set
of values. But I wasn't sure I needed that many connections, so I
added "-c 150" to see how much difference that made. Kaboom!

$ ./pgtune -i ~postgres/data/postgresql.conf -T web -c 150
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./pgtune", line 463, in <module>
wizardTune(config,options,settings)
File "./pgtune", line 403, in wizardTune
'web':mem/con, 'oltp':mem/con,'dw':mem/con/2,
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for /: 'int' and 'str'

I'm not sure what "mixed" mode is supposed to be, but based on what
I've seen so far, I'm a skeptical of the idea that encouraging people
to raise default_statistics_target to 50 and turn on
constraint_exclusion is reasonable. I'm also a bit surprised that
there doesn't seem to be anything here that depends on the size of the
database, even order-of-magnitude. It seems like the right value for
checkpoint_segments, at least, might depend on that.

...Robert