Re: [WIP] In-place upgrade

From: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Zdenek Kotala" <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)sun(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [WIP] In-place upgrade
Date: 2008-11-26 04:40:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Zdenek -

I am a bit murky on where we stand with upgrade-in-place in terms of
reviewing. Initially, you had submitted four patches for this
commitfest:

1. htup and bufpage API clean up
2. HeapTuple version extension + code cleanup
3. In-place online upgrade
4. Extending pg_class info + more flexible TOAST chunk size

I think that it was decided that replacing the heap tuple access
macros with function calls was not acceptable, so I have moved patches
#1 and #2 to the "Returned with feedback" section. I thought that
perhaps the third patch could be salvaged, but the consensus seemed to
be to go in a new direction, so I'm thinking that one should probably
be moved to "Returned with feedback" as well. However, I'm not clear
on whether you will be submitting something else instead and whether
that thing should be considered material for this commitfest. Can you
let me know how you are thinking about this?

With respect to #4, I know that Alvaro submitted a draft patch, but
I'm not clear on whether that needs to be reviewed, because:

- I'm not sure whether it's close enough to being finished for a
review to be a good use of time.
- I'm not sure how much you and Heikki have already reviewed it.
- I'm not sure whether this patch buys us anything by itself.

Thoughts?

...Robert