Re: BufferAccessStrategy for bulk insert

From: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Postgres Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BufferAccessStrategy for bulk insert
Date: 2008-10-31 02:46:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> You should try profiling the patch. You can count the invocations of the
> buffer access routines to check its all working in the right ratios.

*goes and learns how to do profile PostgreSQL*

OK, that was a good suggestion. It looks like part of my problem here
is that I didn't put the CREATE TABLE and the COPY into the same
transaction. As a result, a lot of time was spent on XLogInsert.
Modified the test case, new profiling results attached.

...Robert

Attachment Content-Type Size
gmon.trunk.txt.gz application/x-gzip 10.6 KB
gmon.patched.txt.gz application/x-gzip 10.4 KB