Re: patch: Allow the UUID type to accept non-standard formats

From: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Grzegorz Jaskiewicz" <gj(at)pointblue(dot)com(dot)pl>
Cc: "Pg Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: patch: Allow the UUID type to accept non-standard formats
Date: 2008-10-10 19:37:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> that only depends on definition of 'common variant'. Will it be just code
> that will accept letters and digits, and trying to make that into UUID ?

You are attacking a straw man. No one is proposing that.

> I think those who designed their code to produce or accept non standard
> UUID, should work around problems they created in first place.

We're talking about compatibility with widely-used third-party
products, not home brew. If Coldfusion or Xen whatever other product
uses a non-standard UUID format, we can choose to interoperate with it
gracefully or we can be pedantic and throw an error message. But I
doubt that Coldfusion is going to change their UUID format just
because PostgreSQL chooses to kick out a syntax error.

> Otherwise, accepting non standard forms of UUIDs is going to be just a first
> step towards making the database produce non standard forms.

Then you can argue against it when someone proposes a patch that does
that. This one doesn't.

...Robert