PGError: ERROR: missing FROM-clause entry for table

From: "James B(dot) Byrne" <byrnejb(at)harte-lyne(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PGError: ERROR: missing FROM-clause entry for table
Date: 2010-11-26 02:21:13
Lists: pgsql-general

I am getting this error:

PGError: ERROR: missing FROM-clause entry for table "ca_customs_entry"
LINE 1: ..._entries"."is_cadex_transmitted" = 'f') ORDER BY
ca_customs...

The code is generated by a Ruby-on-Rails-3.0.1 ActiveRecord model:

SELECT "ca_customs_shipments".* FROM "ca_customs_shipments" INNER
JOIN "ca_customs_entries" ON
"ca_customs_entries"."ca_customs_shipment_id" =
"ca_customs_shipments"."id" WHERE
("ca_customs_entries"."is_cadex_transmitted" = 'f') ORDER BY
ca_customs_entry.is_across_transmitted,
ca_customs_entry.is_across_rejected,
ca_customs_entry.is_across_accepted,
ca_customs_entry.is_cadex_released LIMIT 5 OFFSET 0

From what I have been able to piece together for myself I suspect
that the cause may be the absence of an 'AS "alias"' immediately
following the 'FROM "ca_customs_shipments"' segment. PG evidently
treats this as required element whereas standard SQL does not. If
someone could confirm that my suspicions are well founded then I
will raise an issue to handle the matter with the software
maintainers.

On the other hand, if there is another cause of this then I would
like to have that information as well.

Sincerely,

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
James B. Byrne mailto:ByrneJB(at)Harte-Lyne(dot)ca