Re: replication/synchronisation

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: replication/synchronisation
Date: 2006-09-07 22:38:26
Lists: pgsql-novice

glenn(at)tangelosoftware(dot)net (Glenn Davy) writes:
> Hi All - now heres a stupid question...
> for better or worse a lot of project 'documentation' (wikis et.al.) and
> project administration occurs in web applications. A lot of my time is
> spent for example in either trac or media wiki - and in my case these
> nearly are always in a postgres backend.
>
> Unfortunately I can no longer just check out the latest documents and
> take em off line on my laptop, edit them and merge them back later any
> more.
>
> so obviously I want to take my laptop with a snap shot of the database,
> (and wiki software etc) work on it, then synchronise it back to the
> 'master'.
>
> My question (finally) is: are the existing tools for that purpose - are
> pgpool or pgcluster or slony suitable? I'm tempted to try and script it
> myself, but am apprehensive about manging id clashes primarily, and of
> course managing rows updated in >1 db instance - and whatever else I
> havent even though of

Unfortunately, the "usual suspects" are generally designed to work
when systems are connected more or less all the time.

Furthermore, what you're after seems to be one of the forms of
"multimaster" replication, which is the tougher problem that generally
isn't supported.

In effect, what you're trying to do is akin to what PalmOS and Lotus
Notes solve using synchronization systems. There aren't any tools I
can readily point you to to help do this with PostgreSQL, alas.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://linuxfinances.info/info/wp.html