Re: [INTERFACES] PgConnection

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Vasquez, Jason" <Jason(dot)Vasquez(at)Connect(dot)Xerox(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] PgConnection
Date: 1998-10-22 14:58:05
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

"Vasquez, Jason" <Jason(dot)Vasquez(at)Connect(dot)Xerox(dot)com> writes:
> I've read the documentation about using the C++ interface to Postgres, but I
> seem to be havin trouble getting anything to compile. Following the example
> included with the distribution, I have done something similar to this:
> #include <iostream.h>
> #include <libpq++.h>
> void main() {
> PgDatabase data ("foo");
> yadayadayada
> }
> Whenever I do this, I get a compile error stating that there is an undefined
> reference to PgConnection.

Compile error, or link error? I tried the same, and got complaints
about the linker not being able to find several PgConnection routines
until I added "-L/usr/local/pgsql/lib -lpq++ -lpq" to the command line:

$ g++ -I/usr/local/pgsql/include pgtest.cc
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
PgConnection::PgConnection(void)(code)
PgConnection::PgConnection(char const *)(code)
PgConnection::~PgConnection(void)(code)
PQfnumber (code)

$ g++ -I/usr/local/pgsql/include pgtest.cc -L/usr/local/pgsql/lib -lpq++ -lpq
[ no complaint ]

If you're using shared libraries there are also possibilities for
installation problems that prevent libpq++ from finding libpq at run
time, but evidently you're not getting that far yet :-(.

regards, tom lane