Quick ? - terminal display for "select" results

From: Ben Riddell <ben(at)thewhitebear(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Quick ? - terminal display for "select" results
Date: 2005-03-08 18:36:55
Lists: sfpug

Hiya,

Still finding my way around PostgreSQL (and command line interfaces in
general), and had a quick question.

MySQL has an optional command ending of \G that returns results vertically
formatted -

mysql> select * from users limit 2 \G
name: [xxx]
contact: [xxx]
login: [xxx]
password: [xxx]
user_id: 1
*************************** 2. row ***************************
name: [xxx]
contact: [xxx]
login: [xxx]
password: [xxx]
user_id: 2

Don't wanna spend much time with the fancy-pants formatting (that's what my
web interface is for). I just need the occasional quick set of results from
the command line.

Does pgsql have a parallel option?

Thanks!

-Ben Riddell

-------------------------------
--------- Ben Riddell ---------
--- Freelance Web Developer ---
- ben at thewhitebear dot com -
----- www.thewhitebear.com ----
------- 510/332.2979 (c) ------

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both
instances there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged.
And it is in such twilight that we all must be most aware of change in the
air - however slight - lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness.
-William O. Douglas, judge (1898-1980)