Re: ANALYZE locks pg_listener in EXCLUSIVE for long

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ANALYZE locks pg_listener in EXCLUSIVE for long
Date: 2004-05-03 03:35:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 12:45 PM 3/05/2004, Tom Lane wrote:
>Possibly we could reduce the strength of the lock taken by the async.c
>functions

If possible, this seems like a great option. We currently have a large
database with several hundred users who get locked out for as much as half
an hour while ANALYZE runs.

The data in the database is extremely dynamic, so the analyze needs to be
run regularly; we could run less often but this will just mean the problem
happens once per week instead of once per day.

Would ACCESS SHARE be OK?

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.B.N. 75 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_