Re: ODBC driver further developments?

From: Francis Leboutte <f(dot)leboutte(at)algo(dot)be>
To: "Philippe Lang" <philippe(dot)lang(at)attiksystem(dot)ch>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ODBC driver further developments?
Date: 2004-04-04 13:32:15
Lists: pgsql-odbc

At 4/04/2004 13:36, Philippe Lang wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Hiroshi Inoue, the maintainer of the Postgresql ODBC driver, mentionned
>some time ago he was willing to stop working on the ODBC driver package.
>Again, of course, I would like to thank him for all he did. I'm using
>the latest known snapshot of the driver every day (in conjunction with
>the latest MDAC), and I have no big problem with it.
>
>I'm just wondering what is supposed to happen in the future? Is there
>still anymone maintaining this driver? Postgresql is really a great
>alternative to SQL Server, but without a top-qualiy driver, it is less
>interesting, when linked to a windows client.

Not only to a windows client. For example, some development tools
that run on several OS use ODBC only to access databases. I agree
with you, a top-qualiy ODBC driver is something Postgresql really needs.

>What's more, I couldn't
>find any viable commercial alternative to the official driver...

I have been looking at several alternatives recently. The only
serious one seems to be OpenLink. You could have a look at
www.openlinksw.com and http://docs.openlinksw.com/mt/ (multi tier
driver). Moreover I know there are working to implement SSL in their multi tier driver.

Francis