Re: Low throughput of binary inserts from windows to linux

From: "Axel Waggershauser" <awagger(at)web(dot)de>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Low throughput of binary inserts from windows to linux
Date: 2006-12-11 14:58:18
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 12/9/06, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> "Axel Waggershauser" <awagger(at)web(dot)de> writes:
> > ... This works quite well for the
> > following setups:
>
> > client -> server
> > -----------------
> > linux -> linux
> > linux -> windows
> > windows -> windows
>
> > but pretty bad (meaning about 10 times slower) for this setup
>
> > windows -> linux
>
> This has to be a network-level problem. IIRC, there are some threads in
> our archives discussing possibly-related performance issues seen with
> Windows' TCP stack. Don't recall details, but I think in some cases
> the problem was traced to third-party add-ons to the Windows stack.
> You might want to check just what you're running there.

I searched the archives but found nothing really enlightening
regarding my problem. One large thread regarding win32 was related to
a psql problem related to multiple open handles, other mails referred
to a "QoS" patch but I could not find more specific information.

I thought about firewall or virus scanning software myself, but I
can't really see why such software should distinguish between a
windows remote host and a linux remote host. Furthermore,
"downloading" is fast on all setups, it's just uploading from windows
to linux, which is slow.

I repeated my test with a vanilla windows 2000 machine (inc. tons of
microsoft hot-fixes) and it exposes the same problem.

I'm out of ideas here, maybe someone could try to reproduce this
behavior or could point me to the thread containing relevant
information (sorry, maybe I'm just too dumb :-/)

Thank,
Axel