Re: building HEAD on macos fails with #error no source of random numbers configured

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: building HEAD on macos fails with #error no source of random numbers configured
Date: 2016-12-18 22:55:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/11/16 1:52 PM, Jim Nasby wrote:
> On 12/9/16 9:53 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what --no-recursion does, but I would say that we'd
>>> consider that unsupported as well.
>>
>> Interesting. Running config.status adds those --no-create --no-recursion
>> flags automatically. You can see them in the command-line at the top of
>> config.log, too. I never bothered to check what they do...
>
> AIUI they have to do with config dependency checking (where a simple
> make will detect if config needs to run again or not). I've been bitten
> by this in the past as well. Maybe there's a way to get config to spit
> out a warning for those options and have make filter the warning out.

When config.status is out of date against configure, then
Makefile.global runs config.status --recheck, which internally runs the
original configure line with --no-create and --no-recursion added.
--no-create means not to create any output files, because the makefile
rules will create those. --no-recursion means not to run any configure
scripts in subdirectories (we don't use that functionality).

It's arguably a bit confusing that config.log then records the configure
line with --no-create and --no-recursion added. But other than that,
everything works as intended.