Re: Reword docs of feature "Remove temporary files after backend crash"

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Reword docs of feature "Remove temporary files after backend crash"
Date: 2021-10-11 06:07:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021/10/10 22:33, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
>>> IIUC, the "server crash" includes any backend, auxiliary process,
>>> postmaster crash i.e. database cluster/instance crash. The commit
>>> cd91de0d1 especially added the temp file cleanup support if any
>>> backend or auxiliary process (except syslogger and stats collector)

We should mention not only a backend and an auxiliary processe
but also background worker? Because, per Glossary, background worker
is neither a backend nor an auxiliary process. Instead,
maybe it's better to use "child processes" or something rather than
mentioning those three processes.

> IMO, we can add the new description as proposed in my v1 patch (after
> adding startup process to the exception list) to both the GUCs
> restart_after_crash and remove_temp_files_after_crash. And, in
> remove_temp_files_after_crash GUC description we can just add a note
> saying "this GUC is effective only when restart_after_crash is on".

OK.

> Also, I see that the restart_after_crash and
> remove_temp_files_after_crash descriptions in guc.c say "Remove
> temporary files after backend crash.". I think we can also modify them
> to "Remove temporary files after the backend or auxiliary process
> (except startup, syslogger and stats collector) crash.

I'm not sure if we really need this long log message.
IMO it's enough to add that information in the docs.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center