Re: Error when trying to use pg_dump on 8.3 after minor release update

From: Joshua Berry <yoberi(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error when trying to use pg_dump on 8.3 after minor release update
Date: 2009-10-23 17:49:20
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> This looks like catalog corruption :-(. Can you find a pg_class row
> with that OID, ie
> select * from pg_class where oid = 27224
> I expect probably not, but then try it with enable_indexscan and
> enable_bitmapscan turned off. If that finds a row, then what you
> have is a corrupt pg_class_oid_index and you can probably get out
> of trouble by reindexing it. You should also look at what 27289
> is so you know what view is causing the problem.
>
> regards, tom lane

Thanks, that lead me to a recently added view by the customers. I
could not get the view definition:

dms=# select * from pg_class where oid = 27289;
[lots of columns]
v_reporte_pdv_du_epin | 2200 | 27294 | 16384 | 0 |
27289 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
0 | f | f | v | 27 | 0
| 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | f | f
| t | f | 0 | |
(1 row)

dms=# \d v_reporte_pdv_du_epin
ERROR: could not open relation with OID 27224

However, once the view was dropped, I was able to perform a database
dump. Any ideas how this can happen, and how to avoid? Should I assume
that there are more problems and recreate the database from a fresh
dump? Or will the system suffice in it's current state?

Regards,
-Joshua Berry