Re: PATCH: Exclude additional directories in pg_basebackup

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PATCH: Exclude additional directories in pg_basebackup
Date: 2016-09-06 15:16:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 8/15/16 3:39 PM, David Steele wrote:
>> That patch got me thinking about what else could be excluded and after
>> some investigation I found the following: pg_notify, pg_serial,
>> pg_snapshots, pg_subtrans. These directories are all cleaned, zeroed,
>> or rebuilt on server start.
>>
>> The attached patch adds these directories to the pg_basebackup
>> exclusions and takes an array-based approach to excluding directories
>> and files during backup.
>
> We do support other backup methods besides using pg_basebackup. So I
> think we need to document the required or recommended handling of each
> of these directories. And then pg_basebackup should become a consumer
> of that documentation.
>
> The current documentation on this is at
> <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/continuous-archiving.html#BACKUP-LOWLEVEL-BASE-BACKUP-DATA>,
> which covers pg_xlog and pg_replslot. I think that documentation should
> be expanded, maybe with a simple list that is easy to copy into an
> exclude file, following by more detail on each directory.

Attached is a new patch that adds sgml documentation. I can expand on
each directory individually if you think that's necessary, but thought
it was better to lump them into a few categories.

--
-David
david(at)pgmasters(dot)net

Attachment Content-Type Size
basebackup-exclusions-v2.patch text/plain 9.1 KB