Re: PATCH: Exclude additional directories in pg_basebackup

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PATCH: Exclude additional directories in pg_basebackup
Date: 2016-09-01 13:53:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 8/15/16 3:39 PM, David Steele wrote:
> That patch got me thinking about what else could be excluded and after
> some investigation I found the following: pg_notify, pg_serial,
> pg_snapshots, pg_subtrans. These directories are all cleaned, zeroed,
> or rebuilt on server start.
>
> The attached patch adds these directories to the pg_basebackup
> exclusions and takes an array-based approach to excluding directories
> and files during backup.

We do support other backup methods besides using pg_basebackup. So I
think we need to document the required or recommended handling of each
of these directories. And then pg_basebackup should become a consumer
of that documentation.

The current documentation on this is at
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/continuous-archiving.html#BACKUP-LOWLEVEL-BASE-BACKUP-DATA>,
which covers pg_xlog and pg_replslot. I think that documentation should
be expanded, maybe with a simple list that is easy to copy into an
exclude file, following by more detail on each directory.