Re: buildfarm windows checks / tap tests on windows

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: buildfarm windows checks / tap tests on windows
Date: 2021-03-02 22:04:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/2/21 7:48 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> On 3/1/21 3:07 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As part of trying to make the aio branch tests on cirrus CI pass with
>> some tap tests I noticed that "src/tools/msvc/vcregress.pl recoverycheck"
>> hangs. A long phase of remote debugging later I figured out that that's
>> not a fault of the aio branch - it also doesn't pass on master (fixed in
>> [1]).
>>
>> Which confused me - shouldn't the buildfarm have noticed? But it seems
>> that all msvc animals either don't have tap tests enabled or they
>> disable 'misc-checks' which in turn is what the buildfarm client uses to
>> trigger all the 'recovery' checks.
>>
>> It seems we're not just skipping recovery, but also e.g. tap tests in
>> contrib, all the tests in src/test/modules/...
>>
>> Andrew, what's the reason for that? Is it just that they hung at some
>> point? Were too slow?
>

> I don't think speed is the issue. I probably disabled misc-tests on
> drongo and bowerbird (my two animals in question) because I got  either
> instability or errors I was unable to diagnose. I'll go back and take
> another look to narrow this down. It's possible to disable individual tests.

Well, I though it was, but it wasn't. Fixed now, see
<https://github.com/PGBuildFarm/client-code/commit/377e9129a08d607bf7aa32a42bcf6ebecb92ba4d>

I've deployed this on drongo, which will now run almost all the TAP
tests. The exception is the recovery tests, because
021_row_visibility.pl crashes so badly it brings down the whole
buildfarm client.

cheers

andrew

--