Re: replication

From: "Henry - Zen Search SA" <henry(at)zen(dot)co(dot)za>
To: "Adrian Moisey" <adrian(at)careerjunction(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: replication
Date: 2008-06-24 06:53:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, June 24, 2008 8:41 am, Adrian Moisey wrote:
> Hi
>
> We have a 100GB database (16GB dumped) running on 8.2.
>
> Since the bandwidth in South Africa isn't that freely available it is
> difficult for us to get a new copy of out DB in our office (our fastest
> link in the office is 4Mbps).
>
> What can you recommend for me to get an up to date copy of my DB in the
> office with as little transfer as possible.
>
> A few ideas I've been toying with are rsyncing a dump of the db, or
> replication.
>
> Any ideas?

Give Slony (http://www.slony.info/) a try - the initial replication of the
entire DB takes a while, thereafter it only replicates changes (as they
happen).

We've been using it successfully (it has it's occasional problems like all
things) for over a year now replicating across a cluster (DB is also about
100GB+).

Regards
Henry