Re: Install problems for postgresql-8.4.1

From: Michael Wood <esiotrot(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Don Fox <donfox1(at)mac(dot)com>
Cc: "Mark H(dot) Nichols" <info(at)markhnichols(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Install problems for postgresql-8.4.1
Date: 2009-11-02 15:54:31
Lists: pgsql-novice

2009/11/2 Don Fox <donfox1(at)mac(dot)com>:
> I think the hitch is something on my  machine( an old Intel Core Duo)
> MacBook Pro. When I do a :
>  dscl . -list /Groups PrimaryGroupID | awk '{print $2 $1}' | sort -n
> I get
> -2nobody
> -1nogroup
> 0wheel
> UsersPostgreSQL    <------------- Looks strange to me! Should it be removed?
>   THis is after previous installation is removed and I've just done a new
> 'sudo make install'.
[...]

The output would look much clearer if you left off the awk and the
sort. If you really want it sorted you can do it without using awk
first.

e.g.:

$ dscl . -list /Groups PrimaryGroupID | sort -nk2

Your output implies that the Primary Group ID field for the PostgreSQL
group is "Users" when it should be a number. Actually it could just
be that the group name is "PostgreSQL Users" and the group ID isn't
being shown because your command only outputs the first two fields,
which are "PostgreSQL Users". So try this instead:

$ dscl . -list /Groups PrimaryGroupID | grep -i postgres

> When I use the
>
> sudo dseditgroup -o create -i 103 -r "PostgreSQL Users" postgres
>
> I get
> Create called on existing record - do you want to overwrite, y or n :
> In this case 103 should be avaliable as it's not in either Users Unique ID
> or in Groups Primary ID
> No matter which avaliable number I choose I still get the same response and
> any createdb attempt results in a bus error!

I suspect you will need to remove the "PostgreSQL" or "PostgreSQL
Users" group and the "postgres" group if it exists and try to create
the postgres group again.

It seems unlikely that those are causing the bus error, though.

Can you connect to the template1 database using psql?

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot(at)gmail(dot)com>