Re: Veritas netbackup live backup?

From: Michael Wood <esiotrot(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Guy Watkins <guy(dot)postgresql(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Veritas netbackup live backup?
Date: 2009-07-18 07:32:58
Lists: pgsql-novice

2009/7/17 Guy Watkins <guy(dot)postgresql(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> Doing some research here and need to know if a PostGreSQL database can be
> backed up without any down time.  We use Veritas netbackup here if that
> helps.  A live export of the database to disk would be fine, but I could not
> find anything like that in the manual.

To expand on what Tom said, I think the options are:

1.) Use pg_dumpall to create a dump file and then back that up with
NetBackup.; or
2.) Make sure that the database is shut down when NetBackups backs up
the files; or
3.) Use the Point in Time Recovery feature to back up the database
while it is running (but you need to run a command before the backup
and another one afterwards.)

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot(at)gmail(dot)com>