Index Selection Tool For PostgreSQL

From: mahendra chavan <mahcha(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Index Selection Tool For PostgreSQL
Date: 2009-08-18 11:39:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I am a master's student in CSE department at IIT Bombay. As an academic
course project, I have developed a tool for index selection in PostgreSQL.
The tool takes a workload file as in input and outputs a set of create index
statements. The workload file consists queries along with their frequency of
execution in the workload.

I wish to contribute my code to PostgreSQL. I am not sure if such a tool
already exists for PostgreSQL.The details of the tool are in the attached
specification.

Presently, I have injected my code in postgres.c in the tcop in an ad-hoc
way. I am yet to put the code at the right places.

Please could you have a look at the design specification and let me know
your suggestions?

Thanks,
Mahendra Chavan
CSE, MTech,
IIT Bombay

Attachment Content-Type Size
IndexSelection.pdf application/pdf 389.9 KB