Re: More logging for autovacuum

From: "Andrew Hammond" <andrew(dot)george(dot)hammond(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Dimitri Fontaine" <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: More logging for autovacuum
Date: 2007-08-07 18:59:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 8/7/07, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> > But INFO is not shown by default.
>
> INFO is mostly a hack to try to emulate VACUUM VERBOSE's ancient
> behavior before we redesigned the elog levels. It's intended for
> controlling messages that should go to a client because the client
> asked for them, and usually should NOT go to the log. I think it's
> 100% inappropriate to use it for messages from a background process
> that has no client.

Traditional log-level semantics aren't very rich. I think that's the real
source of this problem: "How do I get the info I need to tune auto-vacuum
without swamping my system with log IO". While the following isn't
production ready, it seems to have some really good ideas.

http://log4c.sourceforge.net/

log4c is inspired by log4j, which seems to have become the defacto standard
tool for logging in the enterprise java world.

Andrew