Re: Confusing behavior of psql's \e

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Confusing behavior of psql's \e
Date: 2020-12-01 16:03:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/30/20 22:38, Laurenz Albe wrote:

> I have been annoyed about this myself, and I have heard other prople
> complain about it, so I propose to clear the query buffer if the
> editor exits without modifying the file.

Or how about keeping the query buffer content unchanged, but not
executing it? Then it's still there if you have another idea about
editing it. It's easy enough to \r if you really want it gone.

One downside I can foresee is that I could form a habit of doing
something that would be safe in psql version x but would bite me
one day if I'm in psql version x-- for some reason.

Regards,
-Chap