Re: CREATE AGGREGATE array_cat

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Vik Fearing <vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org>
Cc: Vlad Bokov <vlad(at)razum2um(dot)me>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CREATE AGGREGATE array_cat
Date: 2020-11-19 00:54:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/18/20 19:46, David G. Johnston wrote:

> I doubt there is any substantial resistance to including such a function
> but it would have to be written in C.

Would anything have to be written at all, save the CREATE AGGREGATE
suggested in the original message, using the existing array_cat as the
state transition function?

I suppose one might add an optimization to the existing array_cat to
detect the aggregate case, and realize it could clobber its left argument.
(But I'm not sure how much that would save, with arrays.)

Regards,
-Chap