Re: Problem with accessing Russian UTF database

From: "Ronald Vyhmeister" <rvyhmeister(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem with accessing Russian UTF database
Date: 2008-11-26 07:33:06
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Oliver and all,

I see that there is a Java problem... I limited my code to this:

<%@ page import="java.util.*" %>
<%

Locale locale = Locale.getDefault();
locale = new Locale("ru", "RU");
Locale.setDefault(locale);
String someString = 'фывфывафыва';
char[] rawCharacters = someString.toCharArray();
for (int i = 0; i < rawCharacters.length; ++i)
System.out.println("#" + i + " = " +
Integer.toHexString((int)rawCharacters[i]));
%>

And tomcat cannot handle the string

An error occurred at line: 2 in the jsp file: /iutus/unicode.jsp
Invalid character constant
1: <%@ page import="java.util.*" %>
2: <%
3:
4: Locale locale = Locale.getDefault();
5: locale = new Locale("ru", "RU");

If I replace the String statement with this:

String someString = 'ф';

The error changes to:

Type mismatch: cannot convert from char to String

So I thought I'd be smart and just define it as a char variable, but now it
says:

Invalid character constant

So I've just done them one at a time for 5 characters:

ф = f4
ы = fb
в = e2
ц = f6
л = eb

It would appear to me that whatever I'm entering is NOT Unicode... so how do
I force Windows/Linux/Mac to use Unicode for input/output? I'm trying to
deal with an inherited app... and I'm no java guru...

Ron