Re: GSoC applicant proposal, Uday PB

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, "p(dot)b uday" <uday(dot)pb26(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GSoC applicant proposal, Uday PB
Date: 2020-03-21 14:30:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03/19/20 15:31, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> So I'm not certain how it should be categorized, or whether GSoC
>> rules should preclude it. Judgment call?
>
> You could ask on the GSoC mentors list, but I feel pretty confident that
> this doesn't meet the criteria to be a GSoC project, unfortunately.

It did produce a useful thread on the mentors list, with views like
"while GSOC project doesn't allow project about *WRITING* documentation,
I don't see any reason why coding some solution which improves your
release cycles for eternity wouldn't qualify as a valid GSOC project" and
"if it's just writing a few scripts that will take a week and the remainder
is documenting that work, I'm fairly certain that doesn't count as a valid
GSoC. Now if it's code-heavy -- then definitely that counts as a valid
GSoC project."

At the same time, an off-list response added "However if the org admins
don't like the project, or prefer other projects instead of it, the
project has low chances of being selected" and, given that there doesn't
seem to be clear agreement, and the organization surely will have more
worthy projects than slots will be available for, it is probably best
that I withdraw this one for now.

p.b uday, thank you for your interest and the time spent on your
proposal; I'm sorry to be withdrawing this project. I hope you might
continue to have interest in PostgreSQL generally or PL/Java specifically
in the future.

Regards,
-Chap