Re: Incremental Backup Script

From: "Gregor Zeitlinger" <gregor(dot)zeitlinger(at)torexretail(dot)de>
To: "Zach Bagnall" <zach(dot)bagnall(at)bulletinwireless(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Incremental Backup Script
Date: 2006-01-04 09:30:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

-----Original Message-----
From: Zach Bagnall [mailto:zach(dot)bagnall(at)bulletinwireless(dot)com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 4:42 AM
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Incremental Backup Script

I have found a way from http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2005-10/msg00059.php. I have not tried it, but it seems straightforward.

>I appreciate the addition of PITR - it's better than nothing (nothing
>being full dumps) in some respects. Ideally, we need to be able to dump
>deltas for a single database.
Yes, it is not a replacement for an incremental backup, especially due to the fact that WALs may be orders of magnitude larger than a delta.

>In practice, restoration using the PITR
>method is awkward.
Yes, what I am planning to do:
1) drop the corrupted database
2) restore the base backup
3) replay all incremental backups (in the sense of my original mail)

Gregor Zeitlinger
LUCAS Product Development

Torex Retail Solutions GmbH

Schwedenstr. 9, D-13359 Berlin
Tel. +49 (0) 30 49901-243
Fax +49 (0) 30 49901-139

Mailto:gregor(dot)zeitlinger(at)torexretail(dot)de
http://www.torexretail.de