Re: procedures for adding data

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: Mogin Mohandas <moginmo(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: procedures for adding data
Date: 2005-12-19 03:55:55
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Dec 19, 2005, at 12:41 , Mogin Mohandas wrote:

> I wanted to know how to add a large no of columns in
> postgresql by running a procedure....

Adding a large number of columns or a large number of rows? I'm
unaware of any method to add a large number of columns other than
using ALTER TABLE.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/sql-altertable.html

If you're interested in adding a large number of rows, you may be
interested in COPY.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/sql-copy.html

Also, if you describe your situation in more detail (i.e., what you
are trying to accomplish by adding a large number of columns), you
may receive suggestions on how to do this.

> but i cant seem to find a syntax for one like
> the one in Oracle...if anybody has any idea...please tell me...

I am not familiar with Oracle, but others on this list may be. If you
provide the Oracle syntax for what you would like to do, perhaps
another may be able to help you.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com