Re: New boxes available for QA

From: Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New boxes available for QA
Date: 2008-04-07 18:22:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Apr 1, 2008, at 7:20 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Greg Smith (gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com) wrote:
>>> =4 cores, >=8GB RAM, and >=8 disks with a usable write-caching
>>> controller
>> in it.
>
> hrmmm. So a DL385G2, dual-proc/dual-core with 16GB of ram and 8 SAS
> disks with a Smart Array P800 w/ 512MB of write cache would be
> helpful?
>
> I've got quite a few such machines, along with larger DL585s. I can't
> make one externally available immediately but I could set one up to do
> benchmark runs and to dump the results to a public site. What I don't
> have atm is alot of time though, of course. Are there scripts and
> whatnot to get such a set up going quickly?

Ditto here; I could possibly find one for running benchmarks for the
community.

We're also working towards building our own performance lab and
running our own benchmarks (that reflect our application workload);
once that's up I could run benchmarks against other versions if that
would be useful.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect decibel(at)decibel(dot)org