Re: Fix XML handling with DOCTYPE

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Ryan Lambert <ryan(at)rustprooflabs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Fix XML handling with DOCTYPE
Date: 2019-03-28 23:45:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03/27/19 19:27, Chapman Flack wrote:
> A column marked FOR ORDINALITY will be populated with row numbers
> matching the order in which the output rows appeared in the original
> input XML document.
>
> I've been skimming right over it all this time, and that right there is
> a glaring built-in reliance on the observable-but-disclaimed iteration
> order of a libxml2 node-set.

So, xml-functions-type-docfix-6.patch.

I changed that language to say "populated with row numbers, starting
with 1, in the order of nodes retrieved from the row_expression's
result node-set."

That's not such a terrible thing to have to say; in fact, it's the
*correct* description for the standard, XQuery-based, XMLTABLE (where
the language gives you control of the result sequence's order).

I followed that with a short note saying since XPath 1.0 doesn't
specify that order, relying on it is implementation-dependent, and
linked to the existing Appendix D discussion.

I would have like to link directly to the <listitem>, but of course
<xref> doesn't know what to call that, so I linked to the <sect3>
instead.

Regards,
-Chap

Attachment Content-Type Size
xml-functions-type-docfix-6.patch text/x-patch 31.4 KB