Re: Wrong command name in writeable-CTE related error messages

From: Markus Winand <markus(dot)winand(at)winand(dot)at>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wrong command name in writeable-CTE related error messages
Date: 2023-09-07 17:51:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 23.05.2023, at 19:40, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
> Markus Winand <markus(dot)winand(at)winand(dot)at> writes:
>> I noticed that errors due to writable CTEs in read-only or non-volatile context say the offensive command is SELECT.
>
> Good point.
>
>> My first thought was that these error messages should mention INSERT, but after looking into the source I’m not sure anymore. The name of the command is obtained from CreateCommandName(). After briefly looking around it doesn’t seem to be trivial to introduce something along the line of CreateModifyingCommandName().
>
> Yeah, you would have to inspect the plan tree pretty carefully to
> determine that.
>
> Given the way the test is written, maybe it'd make sense to forget about
> mentioning the command name, and instead identify the table we are
> complaining about:
>
> ERROR: table "foo" cannot be modified in a read-only transaction

Attached patch takes the active form:

cannot modify table ”foo" in a read-only transaction

It obtains the table name by searching rtable for an RTE_RELATION with rellockmode == RowExclusiveLock. Not sure if there are any cases where that falls apart.

> I don't see any huge point in using PreventCommandIfReadOnly if we
> go that way, so no refactoring is needed: just test XactReadOnly
> directly.

As there are several places where this is needed, the patch introduces some utility functions.

More interestingly, I found that BEGIN ATOMIC bodies of non-volatile functions happily accept data-modifying statements and FOR UPDATE. While they fail at runtime it was my expectation that this would be caught at CREATE time. The attached patch also takes care of this by walking the Query tree and looking for resultRelation and hasForUpdate — assuming that non-volatile functions should have neither. Let me know if this is desired behavior or not.

-markus

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-immutable-stable-create-time-validation.patch application/octet-stream 11.5 KB