Re: House style for DocBook documentation?

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Markus Winand <markus(dot)winand(at)winand(dot)at>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: House style for DocBook documentation?
Date: 2019-01-19 20:24:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 01/19/19 08:35, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Is there, somewhere, a written-up "house style" for what DocBook 4.2
>> elements to use for which types of content in the manual?
> I don't think we do. I'd suggest to come up with something and then see
> if it makes sense to patch the docs to apply it regularly.

I think my ambition at the moment is just to complete a particular
addition to func.sgml and do so as consistently as I can manage with
what's there now.

I have noticed a couple of things:

- 'SQL' is often marked up as <acronym>SQL</acronym>, but far from always.

- no such markup is applied to 'JSON' or 'XML' at all, at least
not in func.sgml.

- there is a README.links with this guideline:

o Do not use text with <ulink> so the URL appears in printed output

but a grep -r in doc/src/sgml turns up 112 uses that observe the
guideline, and 147 that supply link text.

(thinks to self half-seriously about an XSL transform for generating
printed output that could preserve link-texted links, add raised numbers,
and produce a numbered URLs section at the back)

-Chap