Re: Multiple postgresql clusters with same version and separate binaries

From: MichaelDBA <MichaelDBA(at)sqlexec(dot)com>
To: Erika Knihti-Van Driessche <erika(dot)knihti(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multiple postgresql clusters with same version and separate binaries
Date: 2019-01-04 14:32:44
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

To put it simply: you cannot run different major versions of PostgreSQL
with the same binaries. 3 things need to be separate. You named 2 of
them: data directory and port. The 3rd one is separate binary locations
for each PG cluster instance running on the same host.

What I do is create a separate .profile_pgsql file for each PG cluster
instance. This file contains all the stuff necessary to distinguish
between multiple PG clusters. Here is an example for a specific Linux
distro...

export VERSION=9.6
export PGROOT=/usr/pgsql-$VERSION
export PGBASE=/var/lib/pgsql/$VERSION
export PATH=$PGROOT/bin:$PGROOT/share:$PATH
export PGLIB=$PGROOT/lib
export MANPATH=$PGROOT/share/man:$MANPATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PGROOT/bin:$PGBASE/share:$PATH
export PGDATA=$PGBASE/data
export PGPASSFILE=~/.pgpass
export PGUSER=postgres
export PGDATABASE=postgres