Moving DB data disk to a different machine

From: "Eliot, Christopher" <christopher(dot)eliot(at)nagrastar(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Moving DB data disk to a different machine
Date: 2008-09-15 19:09:58
Lists: pgsql-admin

I have a database that I use for testing. The contents are not
particularly critical; if I were to lose that data, it would be an
annoyance but not a disaster. Thus I do not back up the DB.

My server machine (actually my windows workstation) became very ill, so
the IT folks gave me a new workstation, but installed the disk drive
from the old workstation in the new one as a secondary drive.
After installing PostgreSQL 8.2 (what we had been using) on this new
workstation, I tried simply copying the 'Program
Files\Postgresql\8.2\data' directory over from the old disk to the new,
but the result is that when I try to bring up the PostgreSQL server, it
takes a long time, and then goes down.

I can arrange to recreate my DB from scratch but it would be a bit of a
pain.

Is there any easy way to make the old DB directory image just work?

Thanks,

Topher Eliot
christopher(dot)eliot(at)nagrastar(dot)com
[]