Re: Deferrable UNIQUE INDEX?

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Deferrable UNIQUE INDEX?
Date: 2006-01-04 02:20:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jan 3, 2006, at 19:45 , David Fetter wrote:

> Dang! Everything was going to be kosher at the end of the
> transaction, but I never got a chance.
>
> Is there some way to make the index check INITIALLY DEFERRABLE the way
> a regular column/table constraint could be?

Happy New Year, David!

I've run into this when reorganizing nested-set hierarchies (though
then it's with integers rather than text). There isn't a way to do
this directly, as you've found out, but you can use a similar
workaround. You could prepend a string to the key during the
permutation, and strip the prefix after permutation is finished.

Not the answer you're looking for, but perhaps you'll be able to use
this workaround.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com