Re: pg_dump and minor versions

From: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump and minor versions
Date: 2007-06-29 13:57:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

--On Freitag, Juni 29, 2007 15:32:19 +0200 Magnus Hagander
<magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 03:09:30PM +0200, Bernd Helmle wrote:
>> Short question:
>>
>> While playing around with various postgresql installations i recognized
>> that pg_dump complaints even within major-releases about different
>> minor-numbers, such as:
>>
>> pg_dump: server version: 8.2.4; pg_dump version: 8.2.0
>>
>> I thought we are safe against pg_dump changes within a minor release, or
>> i'm wrong?
>
> Unless there are fixes *in* pg_dump. You should always try to use the
> latest minor version for both server and client tools, since they contain
> important bugfixes in general. That said, it will mosto ften work fine
> with an older minor version one.

Okay i understand...i always advice people to use the most recent version,
but i was a little bit surprised that we force -i even in minor releases if
we encounter a version mismatch (the other way spoken: i was in the opinion
we check against major number only). Thanks for the clarification...

--
Thanks

Bernd