Re: Autonomous subtransactions

From: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Gianni Ciolli <gianni(dot)ciolli(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Autonomous subtransactions
Date: 2011-12-18 16:22:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Dec 18, 2011, at 2:28 AM, Gianni Ciolli wrote:
> I have written some notes about autonomous subtransactions, which have
> already been touched (at least) in two separate threads; please find
> them at
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Autonomous_subtransactions

The document seems to mix the terms subtransaction and autonomous transaction. That's going to generate a ton of confusion, because both terms already have meaning associated with them:

- Autonomous transaction means you can execute something outside of your current transaction and it is in no way effected by the current transaction (doesn't matter if T0 commits or not).
- Subtransactions are an alternative to savepoints. They allow you to break a large transaction into smaller chunks, but if T0 doesn't commit then none of the subtransactions do either.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect jim(at)nasby(dot)net
512.569.9461 (cell) http://jim.nasby.net