Re: [HACKERS] AdvanceXLInsertBuffer vs. WAL segment compressibility

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] AdvanceXLInsertBuffer vs. WAL segment compressibility
Date: 2018-03-27 22:32:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03/26/18 01:43, Michael Paquier wrote:

> Have a look at BKP_REMOVABLE then. This was moved to page headers in
> 2dd9322, still it seems to me that the small benefits outlined on this
> thread don't justify breaking tools relying on this flag set, especially
> if there is no replacement for it.

Is 2dd9322 a commit? I'm having difficulty finding it:

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git&a=search&h=HEAD&st=commit&s=2dd9322

Am I searching wrong?

I probably won't have more time to look at this tonight, but could
I ask in advance for examples of tools that would need this bit when
encountering unwritten pages at the end of a segment?

I don't mean that as snark; it's just nonobvious to me and I might need
a little nudge where to look.

-Chap