Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Everaldo Canuto <everaldo(dot)canuto(at)gmail(dot)com>, Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Date: 2018-01-15 18:24:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/15/18 11:56, David Fetter wrote:
>> And while trying to find the EOF setting in libreadline might get
>> messy, you're already assuming that ctrl-C hasn't been knobbled
>> using stty intr. Unless you want to go searching for that too?
>
> I'm pretty sure changing either or both of those settings would
> qualify as pilot error, and pretty abstruse pilot error at that.

I once worked in a shop where the EOF default had in fact been changed
to ^Z on the Unix boxen, for consistency with Windows. I may have had
a personal opinion about it not unlike yours, but the pilot at the time
being my boss, I just made it my business to cheerfully explain it every.
time. it. needed. explaining.

So, it's a thing that can happen.

-Chap