would number of fields in a table affect search-query time?

From: Miles Keaton <mileskeaton(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: would number of fields in a table affect search-query time?
Date: 2004-10-04 23:27:51
Lists: pgsql-performance

would the number of fields in a table significantly affect the
search-query time?

(meaning: less fields = much quicker response?)

I have this database table of items with LOTS of properties per-item,
that takes a LONG time to search.

So as I was benchmarking it against SQLite, MySQL and some others, I
exported just a few fields for testing, into all three databases.

What surprised me the most is that the subset, even in the original
database, gave search results MUCH faster than the full table!

I know I'm being vague, but does anyone know if this is just common
knowledge ("duh! of course!") or if I should be looking at is as a
problem to fix?