Re: autovacuum question

From: "Scot Kreienkamp" <SKreien(at)la-z-boy(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Scott Mead" <scott(dot)lists(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: autovacuum question
Date: 2010-03-09 13:47:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Wish I could Tom. I need a non-production, read-write copy of the
database that is updated every 1-2 hours from production. I don't set
this requirement, the business does. I just have to do it if it's
technically possible.

I found a way to do it very easily using LVM snapshots and WAL log
shipping, but the net effect is I'm bringing a new LVM snapshot copy of
the database out of recovery every 1-2 hours. That means I'd have to
spend 15 minutes, or one-quarter of the time, doing an analyze every
time I refresh the database. That's fairly painful. The LVM snap and
restart only takes 1-2 minutes right now.

If you have any other ideas how I can accomplish or improve this I'm all
ears.

Thanks,

Scot Kreienkamp
skreien(at)la-z-boy(dot)com