Re: A Bug in outDatum ?? (Not Sure )

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gokulakannan Somasundaram <gokul007(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A Bug in outDatum ?? (Not Sure )
Date: 2010-03-28 01:47:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gokulakannan Somasundaram <gokul007(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> The function outDatum doesn't take care of varlena structures which are
> stored externally. Is it the intention??

For its use for debugging purposes, this is a preferable behavior: it
shows you what's actually there. For its use for storing rule trees,
it doesn't matter, because the case must never arise. A toasted value
in a rule's Const node would be disastrous for other reasons: there'd be
no way to ensure the referenced toast value doesn't disappear while the
rule is in use. (We've actually had bugs of that ilk; note the forced
detoast in evaluate_expr().)