Re: [HACKERS] Cache query (PREPARE/EXECUTE)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>
Cc: Karel Zak - Zakkr <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>, Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Cache query (PREPARE/EXECUTE)
Date: 2000-02-23 23:38:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck) writes:
> OTOH, this new per-object-context stuff could hand down some
> lifetime flag, let's say MCXT_UNTIL_STATEMENT, MCXT_UTIL_XEND
> and MCXT_UNTIL_INFINITY to start from.

A good thing to keep in mind, but for the short term I'm not sure
we need it; the proposed new contexts are all for indefinite-lifetime
caches, so there's no chance to make them go away automatically.
Eventually we might have more uses for limited-lifetime contexts,
though.

Something else that needs to be looked at is how memory contexts
are tied to "portals" presently. That mechanism probably needs
to be redesigned. I have to admit I don't understand what it's
for...