Re: SET LOCAL again

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SET LOCAL again
Date: 2002-07-30 16:44:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane writes:
> As an alternative syntax I can suggest
>>
> SET name TO value [ ON COMMIT RESET ];
>>
>> Ugh. Why can't we stick with SET LOCAL?

> SET LOCAL is already used for something else in the SQL standard. Not
> sure if we'll ever implement that, but it's something to be concerned
> about.

Actually, it looks to me like the spec's SET LOCAL has a compatible
interpretation: it only affects the current transaction.

My main gripe with "ON COMMIT RESET" is that it's a misleading
description of what will happen --- RESETting a variable is quite
different from allowing it to revert to the pre-transaction state.