Re: A question about pages. Still not clear

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: tmorelli(at)tmorelli(dot)com(dot)br
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A question about pages. Still not clear
Date: 2006-01-12 17:21:38
Lists: pgsql-novice

tmorelli(at)tmorelli(dot)com(dot)br writes:
> Every insert was like this:
> insert into t values (repeat('a',8000));
> Obviously, there must be some kind of compression (the toast table is empty!).

Sure, that's highly compressible data ;-). I repeated your experiment
and then did VACUUM FULL VERBOSE, which provided me this information:

Nonremovable row versions range from 135 to 135 bytes long.

So 8000 'a's compress down into about a hundred bytes, plus the row
header overhead. (Your mileage may vary a bit depending on machine
architecture, PG version, etc.)

> Is there any way of knowing exactly WHEN there will be a new page allocation?

No. Why should you care?