Re: Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Daniel Verite" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
Cc: "Fabien COELHO" <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Corey Huinker" <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL Developers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion
Date: 2017-09-04 17:35:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Daniel Verite" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org> writes:
> The two-space left margin on the entire block does not add that
> much to readability, IMV, so maybe we could reclaim these
> two characters.

Well, it's a sub-list of the entire output of helpVariables(), so
I think some indentation is a good idea.

> That would look like the following, for example, with a 3-space margin
> for the description:

> AUTOCOMMIT
> If set, successful SQL commands are automatically committed

But we could do something close to that, say two-space indent for the
variable names and four-space for the descriptions.

> To me that looks like a good trade-off: it eases the size constraints
> for both the description and the name of the variable, at the cost
> of consuming one more line per variable, but that's why the pager
> is for.

Yeah, we're already past the point where it's likely that
helpVariables()'s output would fit on one screen for anybody, so
maybe this is the best way.