Re: psql Feature request \set query

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "postgres hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql Feature request \set query
Date: 2008-10-23 04:45:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
> "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> "We can't do anything unless we do everything" is a recipe for
>> failure.

> True enough, but a car doesn't roll without at least four wheels.

Perhaps more to the point: you don't have to implement every part of a
set of features at the same time, but it's a good idea to design them
all together. Else you risk writing something that doesn't play nice
with the other parts; and by the time you find out, it's too late to
change without creating a backwards-compatibility problem.