Re: [PERFORM] "Hash index" vs. "b-tree index" (PostgreSQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Christopher Petrilli <petrilli(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ying Lu <ying_lu(at)cs(dot)concordia(dot)ca>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] "Hash index" vs. "b-tree index" (PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-05-10 15:49:50
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

"Jim C. Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org> writes:
> What's the challange to making it adaptive, comming up with an algorithm
> that gives you the optimal bucket size (which I would think there's
> research on...) or allowing the index to accommodate different bucket
> sizes existing in the index at once? (Presumably you don't want to
> re-write the entire index every time it looks like a different bucket
> size would help.)

Exactly. That's (a) expensive and (b) really hard to fit into the WAL
paradigm --- I think we could only handle it as a REINDEX. So if it
were adaptive at all I think we'd have to support multiple bucket sizes
existing simultaneously in the index, and I do not see a good way to do
that.

Allowing a bucket size to be specified at CREATE INDEX doesn't seem out
of line though. We'd have to think up a scheme for index-AM-specific
index parameters ...